Monday, January 3, 2011

The holidaze is behind us...

First off, I'd like to apologize for taking sooo muh time to update this blog.

Anyone who is likely to check in here is likely to know any and all news I could post here tonight. This is what happens when I get so dang lazy about this thing. New year, new possibilities...

Those who know me know that this was my first holiday season in any sort of role that resembles "stepdad." Needless to say, it's awkward for pretty much all of us, and not the least bit of awkwardness is reserved for yours truly.
I find myself desperately trying to avoid treating Beth's kids the way my stepdad treated me. Which isn't to say that he was overly terrible. He always made sure that my needs were met and whatnot. But during my childhood, he was mostly a dick. (I think it's important to note that I wasn't beaten or anything - my childhood could certainly have been worse.) So I'm desperately trying to fill and redefine the role as gently, yet firmly, as I can without being him. And of course, with baby on the way, I've been giving a great deal of thought about what it means to be the best dad I can be. Trouble is, I think I turned out pretty well, (not perfect by any means,) and I can't work out whether it's because of or despite my upbringing. Some of both? None of the above? Maybe some of you fathers, or mothers, or step parents could weigh in?

Anyway, without further ado, here is the most recent inter uterine picture of our daughter, Clara Hope:


And here's one of Beth and me for the holidays:

We sincerely wish the best to you all. 2010 had some serious warts, but some amazing highlights as well. Hopefully, 2011 will have much less ugliness. I know it will add one beautiful baby girl to two loving parents.
Oh, and Beth texted me earlier - she wants me to be sure I mention "how much Clara's mommy loves Clara's daddy." And although I believe it goes without saying, Clara's daddy loves Clara's mommy an awful lot, too!

4 comments:

Gary said...

Since I became a new, first time mom & your stepmother at the same time, I can relate.Yes, it was awkward,stressful & tough at times, but by being positive & being myself, we made it, hopefully, with a good relationship. Joanne S.

iTod said...

Thanks.
Fortunately for Beth, I'm considerably easier to get along with now. :-)

Unknown said...

From the times we talked, I thought you would be a really good father. You were just talking yourself out of it. You will be great. : ) Beth will show you what to do. : ) Jacqie

BethS said...

Joanne-I can't wait to met you and Gary. Tod has told me wonderful things about all 4 of you and the times he spent with you. Looking forward to it. Beth
Jacqie-Thank you

Post a Comment

4 comments:

Gary said...

Since I became a new, first time mom & your stepmother at the same time, I can relate.Yes, it was awkward,stressful & tough at times, but by being positive & being myself, we made it, hopefully, with a good relationship. Joanne S.

iTod said...

Thanks.
Fortunately for Beth, I'm considerably easier to get along with now. :-)

Unknown said...

From the times we talked, I thought you would be a really good father. You were just talking yourself out of it. You will be great. : ) Beth will show you what to do. : ) Jacqie

BethS said...

Joanne-I can't wait to met you and Gary. Tod has told me wonderful things about all 4 of you and the times he spent with you. Looking forward to it. Beth
Jacqie-Thank you

Post a Comment